We offer variable universal life (VUL) insurance with flexible premiums, death benefit and investment options so you can customize your policy. This product is similar to other cash value life insurance products except the cash value investment in the financial market is managed by the policy holder.
The following are things to know if you are considering a variable universal life insurance policy:
- The policy's cash value and death benefit will fluctuate with the performance of the investments that the policy owner chooses.
- The policy owner accepts and assumes the risk for the performance of the investments of the policy.
- Many VUL policies offer a fixed account option with the premium and earnings guaranteed. The cash value of your policy is not guaranteed (except as to any amounts invested in the fixed account option) and, as the policy holder, you bear the investment risk.
- The cash value, death benefit and amount of premiums required to prevent lapse are affected by the performance of the investment options you select.
- VUL policies require you to closely monitor your policy's performance to prevent lapse and to make sure your death benefit is adequate to meet your needs.
Variable universal life insurance policies offer advantages and disadvantages.
- You direct your investment to a variety of investment options.
- Your premium and death benefit are both flexible.
- You are not guaranteed a minimum return on investment options, and you could lose money.
- You assume the investment risk.
- You must closely manage the policy and make investment decisions.
- Poor performance could require an increase in your premiums to keep the policy in force and could reduce your death benefit.
Horace Mann Investors, Inc., member FINRA, is located at #1 Horace Mann Plaza, Springfield, IL 62715. Horace Mann Investors, Inc. distributes these variable products issued by Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. and underwritten by affiliate, Ameritas Investment Corp. Variable products are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Before investing, carefully consider the investment objectives, risks, fees, and other important information about the policy issuer and underlying investment options. This information can be found in the policy and investment option prospectuses.
You may obtain a free prospectus by contacting your Horace Mann insurance agent or calling 800-634-8353. Read the prospectus carefully before investing. Policies may not be available in all states.